The Galveston ISD Educational Foundation (GEF) works to increase private support for public education, and its efforts benefit Galveston Independent School District (GISD) students and staff by supporting activities that reach beyond the district’s financial capabilities. GEF empowers creative approaches to education through its varied programs outlined below. Click on the name of the program to learn more!
- Grants to Teachers and Schools – provides the necessary resources directly to educators to implement new ideas in the classroom*
- District Initiatives – collaborative effort with GISD to secure private funding for large-scale, district-wide initiatives identified by the school district that need financial support*
- Julie Schmid Student Support Fund – supports children in difficult circumstances that prevent them from participating in valuable educational experiences with peers*
- IncubaTOR – supports Ball High’s business entrepreneurship course which prepares students for the complexity of the challenges facing the world today*
- Lisa Biffle Johnson Scholarship – established in memory of Lisa Biffle Johnson to reward deserving Ball High School student leaders for their effort and commitment to pursue a four-year college education
- First-Year Teacher Academy – provides training, mentoring, and resources to aid in the success of GISD’s brand new teachers
*These programs also support magnet/theme based initiatives.